About the Company:
kubik maltbie is a museum exhibit fabrication and fit-out contractor working on major museum exhibit installations domestically and internationally. The company specializes in highly customized cabinetry, millwork, showcases, interactive exhibits, graphic, metal and acrylic production. The company operates a full-service production facility employing multiple trades and professions as well as a team of project managers.
In addition, we are the landlord of the building we occupy which is set up as a standalone company but has many of the same task requirements and reporting on a monthly basis.
We are seeking a Controller who would be responsible to oversee the day-to-day financial operations of the company. Responsible for all areas of financial reporting, maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position needs to “roll up sleeves” and address a multitude of accounting and administrative activities including monthly, quarterly and annual closings, year-end audit preparation, budget and forecast preparation, commercial and benefit insurance activity as well as 401k administration.
The ideal candidate will have experience working within the construction industry and understand percentage of completion billings. Candidate should excel at fostering and developing both internal and external relationships.
BA/BS in Business with a major or emphasis in Accounting. Minimum of 7 years relevant experience in a mid-sized company.
- Oversee the day-to-day accounting functions of the organization, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, fixed assets, job costing and general ledger.
- Prepare and interpret all monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements as well as forecasts, budgets and variances.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly project job cost information.
- Prepare and interpret Work in Process reports used in measuring current and projected profits.
- Forecast, monitor, and reconcile all cash balances to facilitate a positive cash flow at all times.
- Day-to-day point of contact with bank(s) and responsible for implementing wire transfers and ACH transactions.
- Thorough understanding of foreign exchange transactions.
- Reconciliation of intercompany accounts.
- Point of contact with third party Payroll provider Paychex.
- 401k administrator and point of contact with outside TPA and investment broker. Responsible for weekly withholding transmissions, quarterly open enrollment activity and annual census and reconciliation preparation and agency filings.
- Manage business insurance policies, requirements and required audits.
- Manage employee benefits policies, requirements, enrollment and COBRA.
- Manage the registration of all licenses and filing the required returns relating to foreign corporations, sales and use tax, payroll withholding tax, unemployment tax and contractor licenses. Responsible to oversee an audit resulting from the above reporting.
- Point of contact with outside audit and tax accountant. Responsible to coordinate the annual audit and prepare tax schedules for use in the Federal and State return preparation.
- Coordinate the annual R&D tax credit study.
- Develop internal control policies with the goal to ensure integrity of the financial data. Regularly review existing policies and implement updates as current business flow may require.
- Collaborate with the other department managers to support overall company goals and objectives.
- Respond to inquiries from the Executive VP, and other managers regarding financial results and special reporting requests.
- Mentor, manage and evaluate staff of 3-4 direct reports.
- Able to clearly present information through verbal and written communication.
- Experience with Sage 300 CRE (Formerly Timberline).
- Strong Microsoft Office skills including proficiency in Excel.
- Remains open-minded and able to change opinions based on new information.
- Performs well with a wide variety of tasks and able to change focus quickly as demands change.
- Able to tolerate ambiguity and deal with unresolved situations, frequent changes, delays or unexpected events.
- Able to manage one’s own time efficiently.
- Able to work within tight deadlines.